Rain? What rain? We don’t want rain on our holiday!!
The great thing about coming on holiday to Lake Annecy is that even when the weather is not kind, there are still a number of activities to do to keep the whole family entertained. Here are our top choices for rainy days:
- 1. Visit Annecy – Annecy is a beautiful little alpine city, that can be explored in rain or sunshine. Visit the ‘vielle ville’ (old town) and have a look around the quaint little shops and cobbled streets. Stop for an ice cream or drink in one of the little cafés, visit the chateau up on the hill with great views over the Annecy rooftops. Afterwards walk along the ‘paquier’ by the lake and visit the famous ‘Pont d’amours’, bridge of lovers.
- 2. Visit the caves at Seythenex – The Grotte et Cascade de Seythenex (25 min drive from the campsites) is a great way to spend a couple of hours on a rainy day. The waterfall is impressive and the caves although small are interesting and you are taken on a guided tour in French and English. There is also a long zip wire line there that is fun for children and adults.
- 3. Explore the Gorges du Fier- Located just north west of Annecy (40min drive away), Les Gorges du Fier is a short unusual gorge walk on a high up boardwalk. The trip can be combined with a visit to the Montrottier Castle which is located very close by to the gorges. This trip is a great way to spend a couple of hours in a morning or afternoon on a rainy day.
- 4. Get really wet at the Vitam Water parc – This complex is located 45mins drive from the campsites in the Geneva direction and offers outdoor and indoor swimming pools and slides, as well as a spa for adults. Top Tip – There is a half price reduction on Tuesdays!
- 5. Visit the Château Du Menthon – This fairy tale looking chateau is dramatically set above the pretty little village of Menthon St Bernard. The chateau does a 45-minute guided tour where you can see some of the many rooms and see how people lived back in the day. The views from the gardens over the lake are also spectacular and well worth the visit. Top tip- afterwards, go for a nice cake & tea at Tweedle Tea in Menthon village!
- 6. Canyoning / Rafting – Rafting and Canyoning are fantastic activities to do when you come to visit Lake Annecy and can be done in all weathers (as long as it’s deemed safe of course!) See more information here.
Other top tips for families with children looking for indoor activities:
There are 2 indoor soft play areas in the region Tikipark at Albertville and La Forêt Enchantée at Annecy. These are both located about 30mins drive away from the campsites and near to both, you will also find Decathlon stores if you fancy looking for reasonably priced outdoor gear!